Access all our key tools and resources in one place.
Learn about other services available, such as our Employer Advisory Service (EAS), and other government support.
On this page:
Complete this checklist so you’re across our key tools and resources:
- bookmark the Pay and Conditions Tool to calculate pay, leave and notice entitlements
- take our 20-minute online training course in key workplace laws from our Online learning centre
- download a copy of the Fair Work Handbook: An employer’s guide to the Fair Work Act (PDF)
- subscribe to email updates so you’re always in the loop with changes to workplace laws
- bookmark our practical step-by-step guides for dealing with a workplace problem
- remember that free specialist help is available to you.
Use our Pay and Conditions Tool to easily calculate:
- base pay rates, allowances and penalty rates (including overtime)
- leave entitlements
- notice and redundancy entitlements.
Not sure where to begin with workplace laws? Take our free and quick 25-minute course to learn the basics on:
- other workplace laws.
Go to our Workplace Basics quiz.
You'll get immediate feedback as you move through the quiz. If you need some help with certain topics, you'll be provided with links to tools and resources to help you out.
Fair Work Handbook
The are many laws employers need to stay across, not least workplace laws. We have a single short handbook that outlines your key obligations and responsibilities: Fair Work Handbook: An employer’s guide to the Fair Work Act (PDF).
The guide covers laws for:
- pay and leave
- managing performance
- record-keeping and pay slips
- ending employment.
Don’t forget we have simple fact sheets on a wide range of topics, ranging from flexible work, record-keeping through to pay slips details. See our fact sheets:
Get more tips and strategies to run your business. Take one of our many free and interactive online courses we offer in our Online learning centre.
The short courses (about 20-30 minutes each) will upskill you in:
- record-keeping and pay slips
- hiring staff
- managing an employee’s performance
- difficult conversations with your employees
- flexible working arrangements
- compliance notices.
Visit our Online learning centre.
Compliance starts with good record-keeping.
Our Templates can help you quickly and easily record and manage employee entitlements, leave and requests. We have templates for:
- employing staff
- pay slips and record-keeping
- managing hours of work
- helping your employees balance work and family
- managing employee performance and underperformance
- ending employment.
Not sure if you’re meeting all your obligations as a small business employer? The easiest way to find out is to check for yourself.
Self-auditing your business has many benefits and reduces the likelihood of any costly mistakes or disputes in the future.
Our interactive checklist will give you an indication of how you’re tracking, and help you identify areas for improvement. Go to the Small business checklist.
Good employee management is linked to lower staff turnover and higher productivity.
We have simple step-by-step guides for employers to use when dealing with workplace problems.
This includes on:
- I'm not sure what to pay my employees
- I'm not sure which award covers my business
- My employee isn't doing their job properly
- I think I've underpaid my employee
- My employee left without giving notice.
We also have an easy and straightforward guide you can use to help resolve other workplace problems. Go to Fixing a workplace problem.
Good communication practices can help prevent workplace problems from happening in the first place. See Preventing workplace problems for more information.
If you prefer a single downloadable resource, access our employer guide: An employer’s guide to resolving workplace issues (DOCX) (PDF)An employer’s guide to resolving workplace issues.
There’s free tips, tools and guidance on making a workplace problem right.
Stay up to date by subscribing to our email updates. Based on your preferences, we’ll send you emails when:
- important changes are made to pay rates and entitlements in your industry
- we’ve developed new products that could make managing your business easier
- any other relevant or important changes to your industry occur.
Head to subscribe to email updates.
Some small businesses find compliance with workplace laws easier when they have access to specialised help and advice.
Employer Advisory Service (EAS)
Small business employers may be eligible for free tailored written advice about pay and entitlements from our Employer Advisory Service (EAS). Learn more at Employer Advisory Service.
Employer and legal organisations
If you’re a member of an employer organisation, you may already have access to specialist workplace relations advisers. Find a list of employer associations in your industry on our list of Unions and employer associations page, with links to legal support options.
Small businesses can access a range of government services and support. See what’s on offer from the Australian Government and in your state or territory:
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
- South Australia
- Western Australia
Running a small business can sometimes involve challenges that affect mental health.
Beyond Blue has a range of resources to support your mental wellbeing.
It’s often those we work with, along with our families and friends, who are the first to notice mental health challenges. Recognising this, Beyond Blue have guide for those who work with or support small business owners that includes:
- how to provide immediate support to someone who’s distressed
- recognising the signs of poor mental health
- planning and having a conversation with someone you’re concerned about
- what to do if the person doesn’t want to talk about their mental health
- how small business owners can improve their situation.